Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tropical Chicken and Rice

Sunday I decided to make up a new recipe as I'm prone to do. I just kind of throw things together that look like they should taste good and they usually end up amazing. It didn't turn out perfect the first try, but it turned out pretty well.

The night before I prepped the marinade for the chicken. I mixed mango juice, pineapple juice, a whole fresh squeezed lemon, a splash of white cooking wine, and a variety of spices. It tasted great just by itself. Then I cleaned all the fat and tendons off the chicken and put it in the pot with the marinade. I let it sit there overnight to absorb the flavor.

The next day I started cooking some rice and spiced up the water before I started it. I cooked the chicken in the marinade while the rice was cooking. When the chicken was done, I pulled it out and cut it into small pieces. Then I poured out the rice water and replaced it with the marinade juice so it would absorb into the rice. Then I put in some sliced pineapple, coconut shavings, cheese, and the chicken. After adding a lot of spices to offset the sweetness of the other ingredients it was done.

It tastes delicious, but isn't quite as zesty as I'd like. I think next time I'll raise the concentration of the lemon juice and let it marinade for a couple days so it really gets a kick to that chicken.

No comments: