Friday, September 26, 2008

Stream Of Consciousness

Some "great literary masters" like to write in stream of consciousness form. In essence, they simply write their thoughts out as they flow from their heads. There is no thought involved. It's almost like taking a picture of someone's dream. It's as base and raw as the mind gets. There is no refinery, there is no editing, there is no thought at all. Just a literary vomiting of thoughts onto a page. It's messy, but it's sometimes very revealing. It's also often very difficult to read. I had to analyze too much of it in literature classes for my major in college. It left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I almost wanted to try it myself and just see what came out. But I don't think I want to subject anyone else to what I had to go through.

No comments: